Crops & Farming Where Bihar Lives It’s Original Life

Farmer Noor Ali ploughs his field.

Bihar lies in the river plains of the basin of the river Ganga. It is endowed with fertile alluvial soil with abundant water resources, especially ground water resources. This makes the agriculture of Bihar rich and diverse.

bihar agriculture2

The average rainfall in Bihar is 1053 mm. The rainfall in Bihar is largely due to the south-west monsoon, which accounts for around 85% of total rainfall in the state. The other sources (winter rain, hot-weather rain, and the north-west monsoon) account for the remaining 15%.

In heavy rain a farmer ploughs his paddy field, while women transplant rice seedlings nurtured in irrigated plots
In heavy rain a farmer ploughs his paddy field, while women transplant rice seedlings nurtured in irrigated plots

 

The net sown (to sow seed, as for the production of a crop) area in Bihar is 60% of its geographical area. This percentage is much higher than the all-India average of 42%.

bihar agriculture3

Rice is cultivated in all districts of Bihar. Autumn rice, aghani rice, and summer rice are three different varieties of rice grown at three different times of the year. The average production of rice is around 5 million tonnes each year.

bihar agriculture 1

Some five decades back, wheat cultivation was very restricted in Bihar. After green revolution success, wheat was planted by Bihari farmers on a larger scale, and wheat now occupies the status of major crop of the rabi (spring) season. The average annual wheat production is approximately 4-4.5 million tonnes.

bihar agriculture4

Maize is also cultivated, with an average annual production level of approximately 1.5 million tonnes and a steady positive trend in production. The leading producer districts are Khagaria and Saharsa.

bihar agriculture5

Pulses such as moong, arhar, peas, and khesari are grown, more in southern than in northern Bihar. The leading districts are Patna, Bhojpur, Aurangabad, and Nalanda.

bihar agriculture6

The total area under vegetable cultivation is currently about 11% of the state’s gross sown area, and is increasing. The important vegetable crops include potato, onion,tomato, cauliflower, and brinjal. Hajipur in Vaishali is famous for an early variety of cauliflower that reaches market in the last week of September.

Source: Wiki

Chirag
Trying to connect you from almost all the hottest news of Bihar and the reason behind this is to ensure the proper awareness of all of the citizen.
So say AaoBihar

Comments

comments