The town of Gaya, in about 1810 AD, consisted of two parts : one the residence of the priests, which properly was called Gaya ; and the other the residence of lawyers and tradesmen, which was originally called Elahabad, but later on,as developed by a renowned collector “Saheb”- Mr.Thomas Law, it was called Sahebgunj.
The buildings were not equal to the design of the town, the greater part of them being mud walled huts of one story ; but in general they were covered with tiles. There were some good brick houses and neat gardens, especially one belonging to Raja Mitrajit of Tikari : on the whole, Sahebgunj was one of the neatest place in Bihar.
This town also had an hospital for the reception of sick. Every one that applied was received ; but almost the only patients were destitute pilgrims, taken ill on the spot, and persons who had suffered violence, and were placed by the magistrate in charge of the surgeon. Two gates like triumphal arches, and evidently planned by an European, were standing at two ends of a street ; erected by either Mr. Law or to Mr. Seton, intended to form an inn (saray). A wall behind each side of the street, and a guard at each of the gates had been erected to secured the property of the lodgers, and the street had been formed of chambers for their reception.
The two places constituting Gaya were said to have been found to contain 6OOO houses in 1810 AD . The place was extremely populous, a great many strangers being constantly on the spot, and the pilgrims and their followers often amount to several thousands.
The Main place of worship in Gaya ,over that period ,among the Muslims was the Imamvara north from Sahebgunj.
Come and Join Us 🙂